Dreams Really Do Come True
Care Free Travel's founder, Kathleen (Kathy) Nooyen, had a childhood dream of becoming a flight
attendant. She was drawn to the idea of serving others while traveling the world. This was no
small dream for a shy farmers daughter from Luxemburg, Wisconsin, who, until she and a friend flew
to Europe at the age of 21, had not been on a plane before or, for that matter, had never left the
Years later, in 1978, with two young daughters at home, she was working as a school bus driver
and had just begun to go to school for her associate degree in Business Marketing. A a family
friend asked if she would be willing to organize and drive the bus for a trip to the Milwaukee
zoo. Soon after that very successful trip, after which many told her "you should do more of
this!", she saw an ad in the newspaper for a Tour Director. Although she didnt get the job,
her childhood dream had been revived.
With the knowledge gained from her coursework, a strong will, and the support of her husband,
Bob, Kathy established CareFree Travel in the basement of their home the small rural town
of New Franken just east of Green Bay, Wisconsin. For the very first tours, she organized one-day
excursions, hired a motor coach and driver, and advertised by posting newspaper ads and putting up
posters in local businesses. As the length and number of these tours grew, her family grew as
well. In 1979, soon after she escorted a tour to the House on the Rock, her youngest child, a son,
Care Free Travel has seen many changes over the years. Typewriters have been replaced by
computers and this website. In 1993, a West Coast branch of Care Free Travel was opened in Tacoma,
Washington. Not long after, in 1997, an extension was built to the Nooyen family home to
accommodate the growing business. Dedicated to learning, Kathy continues to take courses, attend
conferences, and participate in Familiarization Tours to improve upon and expand what she can
offer her customers.
With her dream now an established reality, one thing is quite clear to all those who have been
lucky enough to meet her: Kathy is no longer shy. She credits her newfound confidence and
limitless energy to her customers. As you will hear her say at the end of every tour she escorts
(something she still frequently does): "Please give yourself a hearty round of applause. You're
awesome and I thank you from the bottom of my heart - for without you, there would be no CareFree
Travel. Nothing would make me happier than to see each an every one of you on another tour very
Care Free Travel Today
Care Free Travel now over 40 years old, is still located in New Franken, Wisconsin, and offers
over 100 tours a year to clients in the United States, Canada, and Europe to destinations
throughout the world.
The CareFree Way
Below are just a few of the many and varied ways CareFree Travel aims to serve our
On all motor coach tours, we:
- Offer convenient pick-up locations close to your home;
- Use state-of-the-art motor coaches for your traveling comfort;
- Serve complimentary coffee, juice and rolls on the first morning on tour;
- Provide interesting information and entertainment to pass the time;
- Accompany you with a friendly and knowledge tour guide;
- Allow frequent rest stops to stretch your legs and enjoy the scenery up close;
- Treat you like an honored guest.
On overnight motor coach tours, we:
- Send a backseat driver package (a list of your fellow travelers, a map, and an itinerary
of your trip, etc.) prior to travel;
- Offer water and soda onboard (for a minimal cost);
- Deliver your luggage to and from your hotel room;
- & much more.
For personalized tour packages (for honeymooners, non-profit groups & more) we are:
- Available for personal consultations for developing the perfect itinerary for you.
- Ready to discuss semi-inclusive or all-inclusive options such as:
- cruises (with all major cruise lines)
- Apple Vacations
- FunJet Vacations
- World Vacations
- Sandals Resorts
- & more.
We are a member of and/or have credentials with the following organizations:
- The National Tour Association (NTA);
- Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA);
- The Better Business Bureau (BBB);
- International Airline Travel Agent Network (IATAN);
- Sandals & Beaches Specialist;
- Certified Tour Professional; Kathleen Nooyen (CTP).